CSKA Sofia v Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by andypalmer, Sep 14, 2009.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I thought I'd start it off.

We want at least a point, but have a tough fixture in the Prem next week. I'd like to see at least half of the starting team not be our usual starting XI. Perhaps EJ and Nevland up top? Perhaps some Baird, some Greening?

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Totally agree Andy.

No reason to throw the kitchen sink, or anything for that matter, at this match when the competition has just started. And with 3 easy points available on Sunday.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd like to see AJ, Dempsey, and Schwarzer have the day off. I'd also put Murphy on the bench to be used "if needed." give Stockdale another start, maybe put in Baird for Hughes and Kelly for Paintsil. Put Greeing in Murphy's position and Riise in Duff's.

We've got a big squad of competent players; I think we need to have as many of them match fit and ready as possible.

Oh, and this and the Carling Cup are the perfect venues for some EJ time. We'll see what Roy's up to, but I agree about resting our walking wounded for Wolves.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Gol TV and Fox are showing approximately 279 Europa matches on Thursday, but not Fulham?!?!?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm betting that Iraq goals will have it!

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Will be doing my student teaching and will miss the 1300 broadcast -- please come up w/ good highlights!

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Curious to know how many supporters are making it to Bulgaria (cool to write Bulgaria for a destination for our lads).

All hands on deck for this one with plenty of fresh legs. Would not be surprised w/a 0-0 result.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ, quite a few are going over -- including AmericanMike. It should be a good day out.

On the EJ front, he played 90 for the reserves Monday night and bagged FFC's goal in a 1-1 draw with Birmingham City. I don't know what that portends for his inclusion/non-inclusion for Sofia, but with the jungle drums reporting that Kamara is going to either Boro or West Brom, Roy may be ready to blood him soon.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good to here EJ contributing (even if its only for the reserves). My geuss is he'll be in the lineup at Citeh for the CC.

Looking forward to the Godfather giving us a firsthand account. Perhaps even a Witch report 8) (would love to read her description of Sofia).

10. nevzter

Agreed, here's to the White Witch bringing a report soon!

I think ol' Roy is going to play a lineup similar to the match in Big-Worm,err,I mean Perm.

11. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

This may be the club's first Europe group stage game, but it's still a road game and so I nearly-automatically think a 0-0 draw would be a big gain.

That said, I do agree with Don's idea to rest some of the regulars or at least not start some of them to expand the pool of game-ready players. I don't know if I'd rest that many; but sitting Dempsey and AJ makes sense as the former has played a ton of minutes recently and the latter is still coming off injury. Still, a number of first-teamers should still look to carry the day and hopefully come out of Bulgaria with some points.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea how CSKA Sofia will approach this game?

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't know what to expect from this game. I guess we can win it. Won't be surprised if we lose. Scoring an away goal is probably important though.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

In the hope that she reads this,I miss the Ww reports!! That is the one thing I miss most about this site since I first signed up 2 yrs ago.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Well they've yet to concede a goal in league play, and only let up one against CSKA Moscow in the previous round.

So I'd imagine it's also going to be 0-0 doozy.

C'mon EJ!!!

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Any idea whether GJ will be making the trip to Bulgaria to bring us his commentary?

16. nevzter

from the offal:
    CSKA SOFIA

CSKA are Bulgaria’s most successful club in Europe having reached the semi-finals on three occasions.

However, since the political revolution of 1989, they have lost their dominance and hit with a series of problems. However, they seem to be through the worst of it, and overcame a tricky Play-Off tie with Dynamo Moscow to progress.

How they got here
    Unlike the rest of their Group E opponents CSKA came straight into the competition at the Play-Off stage, where they despatched a strong Dynamo Moscow 2-1 on aggregate.

Stadium
    CSKA play at the Bulgarian Army Stadium, which has a capacity of 22,015 and situated in the centre of Sofia. However, their Europa League matches will take place at the Vasil Levski Stadium.

The Manager
    Luboslav Penev is a big name in Bulgarian football but the 43-year-old is relatively untested on the managerial stage. As a player he won more than 60 caps for Bulgaria, and counts Valencia and Atletico Madrid among his former clubs.

Star man
    Defensive midfielder Todor Yanchev makes CSKA tick, controlling the pace and direction of the team’s movements.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

18. LOBO

LOBO New Member

I kept thinking I had read this somewhere while reading some of the previous posts...

Thanks for posting the link!

19. nevzter

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

somewhere in the ether is a match preview I uploaded yesterday morning. I'm hoping it'll be up some time before kickoff.

As of the writing, there was no clear assessment of what Sofia's intentions are. They're 1st in the league [on goal difference], and qualifying for the group stages was VITALLY important for them. Evidently, had they lost to Dynamo Moscow and not gotten this far, they wouldn't have been able to build a new stadium. As it is, they're moving from their 22,000 seater stadium to a 36,000 seat stadium for the match.

According to the folks on Facebook, the weather in Sofia is sunny and warm, and the entire city is talking about the match.

Don't know anything about radio coverage via GJ, and Iraq Goals isn't listing anything yet for tomorrow.

ChicagoTom to the rescue. Match preview is up on the home page.