Convey Inks Reading Extension

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by CincyFulham, Jul 8, 2006.

1. CincyFulham

CincyFulham New Member

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am very curious how Convey will do in the Premiership. Like many Americans I will be keeping a close eye on him throughout the upcoming season.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think he learned a lot during his first year when he hardly saw the pitch. Last season, he didn't waste any of his time. Hope he and Marcus kick some serious butt in all but two of their games. I just love them left wingers!

4. Zack

Zack New Member

A conversation between a certain USMNT player and Bobby Convey just before the U.S. squad gathered to start World Cup '06 preperation....we will label the un-named player as GOLDEN BOY or GB

GB: So your telling me that you left MLS to play in a lower division in England and have worked your way up to the Premiership??

BC: Yeah GB, MLS did what it could for me now, but I really wanted to push myself against the best out there. Not that MLS is the end all, it helped me progress in a professional setting...and even though I was happy beating the likes of Chivas USA, playing in a environment in England would most likely prove what i'm made of as a player.

GB: But...

BC: But what? You look confused, I mean I'm not the only one that has gone oversea's to try their skill in a soccer culture...I mean it is tough being away from home, not being the best, and having to prove myself again....but at the end of the day the hard work has paid HUGE dividends!

GB: Yeah, well I did that and the German teams were like "Wow you are too good for our league, clearly you have more to accomplish in MLS...you probably play worse when you are 'happy' back in MLS." So it was kinda like they wanted me to leave b/c I was already better than most everyone.....I just acted unhappy and down, so they would think all that....

BC: But...

GB: But what, I mean i live in California in a huge house..I'm the best paid MLS player EVER....I'm happy....I feel like I have reached the pinnacle b/c I was on MTV Cribs so what else do I need to challenge me??

BC: (scratches head...and wonders is this a real person he is talking too?)

GB: Yeah I mean I'm happy and at the World Cup this summer I'll probably do about a "ba-jillion" times better then I did last time. All those other guys are probably unhappy in Europe playing...meanwhile I live in sunny California....

BC: Uh..yeah...maybe your right (if there were a lie detector in the room it would be going off the charts)......Well I'll see you in Cary before we leave to Germany...

GB: I'M HAPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now dont get me wrong I think Land..i mean Golden Boy can do good things, and yes being happy does play a huge role in your life....but when your playing a game like this...to me, and i'm sure many others, it just doesnt make sense when you see stories like this with Convey and other Americans making good across the pond. Who knows, Convey could fizzle out and be back on MLS pitches soon....but at least he is giving it a go, not taking the easy route and...while he didnt warrant a Real Madrid contract at the Cup this summer.....the difference 4 years ago is GREAT to see, and gives me some hope (pessimist at heart) that maybe just maybe if dogs and cats start living together, that the U.S. men's national team can put together a team that really goes out there and day in and day out compete with other teams....NOT (and no offense b/c they do beat the U.S.) Panama, El Salvador, St. Kitts & whatever it is called....

While i most likely will be using adult diapers if this is close to happening, a pleasant surprise wouldnt hurt. Congrats to Convey and if GB really wants to push himself he would give it the 3rd times a charm....

and by the way I'm stuck at home w/ out transportation all day, recovering from flu...so needless to say....i have some time...

Cheers to all.....

and as Jimmy Johnson would have said....
    "how bout them Germany strikes today!!!"

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Zack, your post was funny as hell! Good stuff my friend! I hope you are getting over the flu. That is never fun.

As a Fulham supporter I will have a hard time cheering for Reading this season. I am hoping Fulham does not have to worry about being relegated but you never know. That being said, Reading is a team that I am thinking can and possibly will get relegated this season.

In essence, I want the bad teams near the bottom of the table and the newbies to have rough seasons so Fulham can finish much higher and all us supporters of the Whites will not be biting all our nails off hoping we do not get relegated. I hope we can bite our nails fighting it out for a UEFA Cup spot.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, Zack, PS -- What about Portugal's goal? What about the 40 yard Ronaldo to Kahn? The 2nd half was a highlight reel.

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes, its interesting following Convey. He was always identified as someone with serious talent but in MLS he really never lived up to it. When he left for Reading he was anything but tearing up MLS. I always recall him missing sitters and making bad decisions. I guess during his first year in England nothing changed. Then BAM.

I hope same happens for Adu. Though he seems to be playing very well and going the full 90 for DC this season.

Yeah I love the Golden Boy conversation, I can see him saying that.