College Basketball 2016-17

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Dec 22, 2016.

1. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I understand the people of a state have the right to vote and that the right to vote should be honored whether you agree with it or not. In choosing to not play games in North Carolina the NCAA, a not-for-profit institution that has a policy against harassment and discrimination, is making a choice to to discriminate against and harass the voters of North Carolina by forcing their judgement on the voting population of North Carolina. Make no mistake this is a choice that costs the NCAA nothing because they can make their money playing outside of North Carolina. If they were making a real stand they would remove their sanctioning from all North Carolina public institutions and stay out of the state altogether but they won't do that because it would cost them something. The NCAA has a right not to play games in North Carolina if they choose not to but they should not get to selectively discriminate when it suits them.

If people really feel strongly about the bathroom bill they can move to North Carolina and obtain the right to make a difference in North Carolina. If people don't want to live in a state that has instituted a law like the bathroom bill they can move out of it and enjoy the freedoms granted by other states. I've always found it funny how people are willing to speak out against what they see as discrimination by others while ignoring their own forms of discrimination or worse yet selectively choose when to acknowledge their conscience like the NCAA.

Since this is supposed to be a non-political forum I will refrain from further commentary on the subject and go so far as to tell the moderators to feel free to delete this post since I am obviously violating the forum rules.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry to have upset you. I know how sensitive you guys are to things like this. I'll not do it again.

3. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

The victims here are NOT the people pushing for these idiotic bathroom bills. They made their bed ...

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I've never minded political talk on this site, and always enjoyed Mr. Fog and HD throwing ideological haymakers at each other back in the day, but they were usually on a specific thread. I didn't take it as anything more than an observation that Duke lost, and was certainly hurt by a 7 seed (South Caroiina) getting to play 100 miles from their campus which is highly unusual for a team seeded that low. Since the pod system has been in place both UNC & Duke routinely play in-state.

Now, there are some fantastic match-ups tonight that are must see TV:

Midwest:

Oregon v Michigan: Stated it on last page I'll pick Michigan to continue on it's magic carpet ride with Ducks not being at full strength

Kansas v Purdue: The Boilers will show up and give KU all they want. Caleb Swanigan is the best man left in the tourney. Can Purdue hit 3's when the Jayhawks collapse and the ball is kicked back out? I got Kansas winning it all so I'll say not enough to the question.

West:

Gonzaga v West Virginia: WVU pressures you the moment you get off the bus, will the Zags be able to handle it? The Achilles Heel for Gonzaga is they haven't been in close games very much and they looked confused and shocked when Northwestern made that huge comeback against them before the refs bailed them out with that horrible non-interference all. This can go either way, I'll go with the Zags only because they've had a week to prepare, but the Mountaineers winning wouldn't be an upset by any means.

Arizona v Xavier: Hate talking about my game, nervous already.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  5. SoCalJoe

Ugh..:( 8 point lead with 4 minutes to go and blew it. Sean Miller is near the top of the heap in recruiting, but his in-game coaching is pedestrian.

Kansas is a ticking time bomb, Purdue was right there in the second half, them boom they were down by 20.

Good win for my brother the Oregon grad over Michigan.

Zags and Mountaineers played a wrestling match that featured some baskets. The intensity between the two teams made up for the lack of great offense.

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Kansas' guard play is phenomenal.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Sorry Joe. I jinxed them. Any chance Indiana woos him away from Tucson?
    Thought Purdue might get KU. Not. Jayhawks look like the favorites at the moment. Chris Mack's agent is drooling.
    Back here in The Ville, the NCAA answered U of L's response to their Notice of Allegations.
    Doesn't look good for Rick. Should be an interesting summer. The school's gonna fight, but I think the Association's goal is to force his departure. The school's thinking a multi game suspension. Either way, the outcome is not good.
    Tonight! Who do you like? I think Kentucky gets by UCLA, but they go out over the weekend.

8. SoCalJoe

Thanks James, the potential 1 game heartbreak is one of the reasons the tourney is so great. I can't imagine Miller leaving Tucson. His kids are of the age where it doesn't make sense, his salary is the same that IU is offering, it's a hoops school, it's 70-80 and sunny in winter time. That said, anything can happen. It's Alford's job if he wants it $4.4 million in Bloomington vs $2.6 in Los Angeles? More importantly is his top assistants can live very well there as to living very well in SoCal, but having to commute long distances. Games tonight:

North Carolina vs Butler: The Bulldogs have been built into such a good program. If they can control tempo they could put a scare into the Heels. That said, top teams that escape an upset bid many times loosen up and play better. Will say UNC to pull away.

UK vs Ucla: Will stick with UK, but the Bruins have a great mix of freshmen talent combined with veteran leadership that is more than capable of beating Kentucky for the second time this season. I think Monk will hit the key 3s against the Bruins zone D

Baylor vs South Carolina: I'll take Baylor with slightly more experience, but this game will come down to the last possession or two.

Wisconsin vs Florida: Jump, maybe you could enlighten me. I have zero knowledge about the Gators (I've watched them play for about 5 minutes this tourney while they were blowing someone out). Whisky has got Hayes and Koenig who have seemed to have been there for 7 years so I'd lean towards them.

9. jumpkutz

Difficult to say. Haven't seen enough of the Gators away from home. If Billy D. were still on the bench I'd say Florida, but I'm not sure Mike White's got enough experience to get them past a hardened tourney team like Wisconsin. The Gators have the talent, but that doesn't get you through the survive and advance tourney wars. I'm going with the Badgers.

10. jumpkutz

The SEC roll continues. Flordia, South Carolina and Kentucky roll on. Who'd have thunk it? Didn't think the Gators would get Wisconsin. Let's see what happens today!

11. SoCalJoe

That Florida-Wisconsin game was insane. Florida had it, Whisky stole it back at the end of regulation. The Badgers had it and the Gators steal it at the buzzer in OT..awesome.

2 Tickets to Glendale Arizona up for grabs:

Midwest:
    Kansas v Oregon: This would've been a heavyweight battle if the Ducks hadn't lost Bucher. Oregon still has a great trio of players, but the Jayhawks can hit teams with a 10-15 point run in a blink of an eye. Kansas

West:
    Gonzaga v Xavier: 2 of the best ex-Mid Majors (they've been too good for too long to be anything but considered big programs) will got off the Final 4 schnide. Both have class coaches and I'll feel good for either, but I'm a west coast guy so pulling hard for the Zags.

@BarryWhite Archie Miller of Dayton it is: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19001709/archie-miller-coach-indiana-hoosiers

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    BarryWhite likes this.
  12. SoCalJoe

When was the last time Oregon went to the Final 4? 78 years ago when the team nicknamed 'The Tall Firs' won the very first NCAA tournament. They took it to Kansas from the opening jump.

Gonzaga's Mark Few has been offered 'big school/big $$' jobs numerous times over the years. He always maintained that he and his family loved Spokane and he wasn't interested in leaving, and that he didn't have to go anywhere to reach a Final 4..he was right.

Last 2 tickets up for grabs:

South Carolina v Florida: There is a reason no one ever gets a perfect bracket, even the biggest SEC fan would never have picked this regional final. They split in the regular season, I'll pick Florida but my cousin and her husband both work at SC so hoping they win.

Kentucky v North Carolina: Clash of the Titans, can't wait to watch this. Kentucky made me a believer the other night, but can they keep the Heels off the offensive glass?

BarryWhite likes this.
  13. jumpkutz

In the end, this one and done edition of Cal's fabulous freshmen (plus upperclassmen support players) couldn't muster enough defense to get one shot over the hump. Just as I knew in '92 that Duke essentially won the national title in Philadelphia, so it is that I believe the Tar Heels will grind their way through the rest in Scottsdale.

14. SoCalJoe

Jump, I would agree that NC should be the likely favorite to win it. However, they've gone to 20 Final 4's and have only won it 5 times. I do like them tomorrow to wear down Oregon, but the Tar Heels have come up short time and again.

Really hoping Gonzaga gets by South Carolina, because the best game for the final would be a Zags-Heels tilt. Also, glad to see a huge increase in tv ratings. CBS has got it figured out w/getting all the games on their different platforms.

jumpkutz likes this.
  15. SoCalJoe

Easily the worst called game by 3 referees that I've ever seen. There was plenty of bad calls going to either team, but 3 of the first 4 fouls called on Gonzaga beast Zach Collins were comically bad calls and he spent the majority of the game on the bench. The perfect example; NC guard Berry cleanly stole the ball from Karnowski, but was called for a foul, Karnowski was then called for a flagrant 1 for his incidental contact w/Berry afterwards. The refs capped it with less than a minute remaining and the Tar Heels up Carolina clearly being out of bounds on a jump ball call. Gonzaga should've had the ball, but instead NC had the arrow, scored and scored a bucket. Top it with my annual gripe about new rims in a dome stadium and while close it was a disappointing end to an otherwise great tourney.

16. jumpkutz

I watched very little of any of the Final Four. A few minutes of the Zags-Gamecocks first half, and a few minutes of the final just after the start of the second half. It's becoming anti-climatic. And bad. The championship game was, indeed, the regional final between UK and UNC. And it was the best game. And until the NCAA/CBS suits change some things, interest and viewership will begin to wane. But congratulations to the Tar Heels and their fans. They've won a bunch for a reason. And they deserved it this season.

17. FulhamDC

FulhamDC Active Member

I'd like to congratulate those of you that finished ahead of me in the FulhamUSA bracket challenge. No need to look, if you played the bracket challenge, you finished ahead of me!

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  18. jumpkutz

The NCAA's D1 Committee on Infractions released it's decision today about the Louisville basketball dorm sex scandal. The biggest things are 1) Rick Pitino suspended for the first five ACC Conference games next season, and 2) possible vacation of records, which could include the 2013 National Championship, for use of ineligible players. They'll be on probation until June 14, 2021. They'll lose four scholarships during that period, but will not be banned from the post season. And they must pay back all conference-sharing revenue from 2012-2015 NCAA Tournament appearances. The school plans to appeal Pitino's suspension and some aspects of the vacation of records. The school and the association will now "negotiate," for lack of a better term, over who will be determined ineligible and what games will be vacated. Although unclear, it appears obvious that some of the players who participated in the championship winning team and, thus, will be ruled ineligible. What's also unclear is what defines ineligible in this case. Louisville described the penalties as "excessive" and "severe,' and that they 'exceeded our expectations." They have 45 days to submit "a written report containing the games impacted (by the vacation of records) to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff." But that will be pushed back until any appeals are heard by a separate appeals committee. Bottom line: it ain't over.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator