Cardiff Round 1 Now 2

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dtowndough, Jul 23, 2020.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

COYW!!!

A word with man-of-the-match Josh Onomah.
    “We started quite slowly, but second half we came out sharp. We were determined to score, and after the first few minutes we knew we were going to score. Thankfully I got that goal! I’ve been working on scoring, and tried to keep my composure. I rolled a couple of people and passed it in. Once I scored it lifted our spirits and we controlled the game from there. I’m looking forward to the next game, and hopefully a game after that. Morale is high.”

SoCalJoe, HatterDon and stlouisbrad like this.
  2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

That really was a great performance from the team. I was sullen when I saw that Mitro wasn't in the lineup. We all know that scoring without him is a weakness. Then the opening few minutes had my heart in my throat. Thankfully the back line weathered the early onslaught and Fulham started to "play their game" as Don said.

I thought for sure Cairney had gotten Fulham the first goal when he fired that shot that just nicked the post. It was a classic Cairney shot that was almost magic, but at that point I felt like the goal was coming. Onomah's moves to get through the box and score were mind-blowing. I'm eager to watch that again and again. I'll also enjoy watching another spectacular free-kick from Kebano. I have this Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer-esque vision in my head that Kebano was the sad little kid not able to break into the first team so he just spent his time doing free kicks on his own while everyone else played. Then one not so foggy July day the manager said they needed him on the field. Everyone got to see Kebano score from his amazing free kicks and the teammates all shouted with glee, "Neeskens, you'll go down in Fulham history!"

SoCalJoe, HatterDon, nevzter and 2 others like this.
  3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

My dog hated that game. Our goals were so fantastic I let out the two loudest yells of the season. Best day in a long while.

MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Highlights from Fulham. Love the grin from Parker after Kebano's goal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    SoCalJoe and HatterDon like this.
  5. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

Quality match by the Whites after first 5 min. 9 stars out of 10. Fantastic goals. Fun listening to ex-white Konchesky as an announcer. Looking forward to Thursday!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Very good second half obviously. I think we’re seeing two stars coming of age. Onomah and Kebano have been huge since the restart, and today will only stoke the fires for the return leg at the Cottage. Kebano, especially, is turning into a right footed Messi on direct free kicks. He’s figured some things out as it pertains to finding the weak spot in the opponent’s formations. Today’s was about as different as you can get from his grass cutter against Wednesday. Time will tell if he continues to be a set piece threat on every freebie in range but, right now, we need to ride the hot hand (or foot, if you will) of No. 7. Not take anything away from Onomah’s effort. And another clean sheet. Stranger things have happened, but you gotta feel pretty good about our chances of completing the job Thursday night at the Cottage.

sacffc likes this.
  7. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Curious about Mitro's injury, but with a two goal lead and the form they've been on without him, do you risk bringing him back in the starting lineup Thursday? Would like to see him on the bench to know he's healthy, but I'm not sure I want to see him in the starting lineup

SoCalJoe likes this.
  8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

In the space of 2-3 weeks, Kebano has elevated himself to a folk hero. I wish the club would resume personalized kits, as I would like to purchase a Kebano one.

Was so happy to get that second goal. Cardiff will now probably throw everything they can at us early on Thursday. If we can weather the storm, I like our chances going to Wembley. Even during this totally surreal, often times bleak present, the thought still makes me smile.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Watching Kebano terrorize Cardiff's right back reminded me that it was Louis Boa Morte that first drew my attention to Fulham. I love real wingers, and they aren't as common as they used to be. Now FBs do most of the wide attacking.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  10. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Parker was cagey about injuries during his press conference today. He didn't mention Mitro by name and said something nearly unintelligible about those who were injured getting better, but uncertainty about their fitness. Fortunately, Fulham goes in with a two goal advantage, so defense is more important than offense in this one. Plus, Fulham's got Kebano who's practically guaranteed to score! I'm trying not to be overconfident, but Fulham is certainly in a strong position. Hopefully an early score for the home team puts this one to bed.

11. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

45 miuntes! COYW

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We have to do what we did Monday -- take charge, be in control, don't let Cardiff dictate, DON'T TAKE OUR COLLECTIVE FOOT OFF THE GAS.

SullyTexan and dtowndough like this.
  13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good half for us; I can see Cardiff's idea: win the toss, keep the ball in the air to blind them, score an early goal to panic them, and we're in with a good chance.

It all worked well until -- guess who -- Kebano equalized. 3-1 at the half and we're the better footballing side. I'll take it.

14. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Well, that was a couple years worth of stress

SoCalJoe likes this.
  15. SullyTexan

SullyTexan Active Member

Not much to add to what DtD said. I am just glad that is over! On to Wembley!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, who has the final on TV here? Nothing on ESPN+

17. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

world soccer talk has it showing on ESPN+ HD. perhaps they havent updated their site yet?

HatterDon likes this.
  18. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

It will be on ESPN+. Here's a screenshot of their schedule:
    champ_final_2020.png

I thought it was unlucky for Fulham that the second goal wasn't called back for offside. Tomlin was certainly in an offside position, so the issue is if Christie played the ball "intentionally". That bounce off him toward his own goal did not meet that definition. I'm glad that in the end it didn't matter.

Fulham looked fantastic in the first half, but after losing Kebano and giving up the early second goal they seemed to barely hold it together in the second half - but barely holding it together was good enough!

Between the three bad hammies, Mitro's, Kebano's, and Cavaleiro's, I'm pretty worried about Fulham's chances against Brentford. Hopefully a couple of them can get healthy this weekend.

19. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member