Captain...Who and Why?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Aug 1, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

can't believe we haven't discussed this over here yet....have seen it on the offal, but want to see your thoughts.

Now that Browny has moved on, who is the next captain in your eyes and why?

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think McBride should be captain and I am not saying that as an American homer. I am saying that as I really do not think we have a captain outside of the new signings. I think this is likely McBride's last season on the team and he can captain the team for a season before Baird, Hughes or even Bullard takes over next season.

For the captaincy this would be a transitional season. I am okay with Baird or Hughes being captain, but I think McBride deserves a shot at it. He has served the club well and he is a model citizen and professional on and off the field.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

McBride for his service and time with the club. It appears he commands the respect of his peers and, of course, the fans. Niemi wouldn't be a bad choice either as the barking dog 'keeper, with a full view of the pitch, usually serves clubs well. I'd put Bullard in the queue for next in line after McBride leaves.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

its going to be knight and when it happens i am going to light myself on fire.

you heard it here first.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Don't forget there's a poll on the FUSA home page.

I think Boca. I think he's LS's kind of player, and everyone on the right side of the water seems fascinated with his captaining the USA Squad. Don't forget he had the armband in China also.

6. RDG

RDG Member

:3d laughing:

Heeeeeyyy, wait a minute! I'll probably be right there with you!!

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

No lighting fires...unless it is to burn that awful Chelsea away kit.

The only good thing that could remotely arise from Knight wearing the armband would be it might cause him to PULL HIS HEAD OUT OF HIS ARSE!!!!!

Still, I think I'd be wearing a black armband if Knight was awarded the captaincy.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

McBride. Well deserved, and any argument that a forward, especially this forward, cannot captain a team is just a red herring.

9. andyns

andyns New Member

Niemi. The best player in our squad, has the experience, can see the whole field.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Brian has the qualities and the respect to be captain but he is just simply in the wrong position. A captain should be a midfielder or defender who can see the whole field and bark orders.

Hughes is a good captain from what I've read but Niemi gets my vote. We haven't had a leader in two/three seasons and we NEED one asap.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Boca or Hughes. McBride has the class, but can't be effective as Captain while playing up front. I don't think Niemi has the experience (as Captain) to be handed the job. I think Boca has the edge, provided he gets a job in the starting 11.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

As I said in a thread about this on TFI, does there necessarily have to be ONE captain? With all the competition for places in the lineup that we've got at the moment, I could almost see the captaincy up for grabs for the player who is most impressive in training week by week.

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Boca all the way. Brian is the man, but he does get subbed a lot which means the arm band would have to always be switched around.

14. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

If Boca or McBride was named captain, would they be the first American to captain a Premiership side?

15. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Pretty sure Reyna was captain for Man City for awhile...not sure if anyone else was before that, maybe Friedel?

16. BC

BC New Member

Boca or Mac, either one. I think you can make good arguments for either.

17. tibor

tibor New Member

My vote goes to a committee captain until Jimmy returns, then it should be all his.

18. sublicon

sublicon New Member

McBride makes the best sense. Why would any of the new signings be captain? I would think these guys have a while before they truly earn their stripes . . guys like Boca and McBride have longevity with the team, and they perform.

...or Papa Bouba??

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Mike,

I think this argument is asinine. If you play defense or midfield you need to be barking orders irregardless of the little thingy on your arm. Thierry Henry was captain of Arsenal for crying out loud and Wayne Rooney is likely to captain Manchester United.

So I think Brian can be it, but I'm not sure he knows how to properly debate a ref. He may be too nice. Although I think the English can learn something from Brian McBride and how he doesn't go ape crap when something doesn't go his way.

20. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'd hate to see it go to anyone but McBride. Even though I think Boca would be a great pick after watching him in the Gold Cup with the USMNT, Brian is a true role model any player can look up to.

and he also seems to be quite the fan favorite, especially here on this side of the Pond.

:p