Bob Bradley is Class

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

He has enough time to get it turned around, but I don't see much talent on that team.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thought they looked solid in the first half; Bradley had a good plan and they executed it. Stoke have rounded into form, and their gonna be a bitch the rest of the season.

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

No Murinho for United this week as he's suspended. Can't hurt the Swans chances.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for Bob, it ain't helping either. Nil-2 manure before the half hour mark.

5. jumpkutz

Big one for Bob today in terms of how long his stay in the PL might be. They're at home against Crystal Palace, who are struggling mightily under Alan Pardew, going back to last season. If Swans don't get a result today, I'm afraid they're a near lock for relegation. Then who knows what happens to the manager in that eventuality. You'd think they would keep him, but who knows?

6. tim

tim Active Member

And what a win for the Swans. I still think they're headed for relegation but one step at a time.

jumpkutz likes this.
  7. jumpkutz

They're pretty thin on talent, that's for sure, but after what he's gone through since leaving the USMNT, if anybody can keep them up, it's him. I mean, Egypt, in the middle of an UPRISING? Norway? The 2nd tier of the French league? This must seem laughable to him.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Bad to begin, bad to end. No discredit to him as a football manager though, probably (almost assuredly) can use the English experience as a springboard.

11. jumpkutz

12. tim

tim Active Member

The anti-American sentiment surrounding his time there was pretty ridiculous. It's times like these I don't like English football.

There's speculation that his next stop will be LAFC. It would be a very cushy gig.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Should never have left France. Swansea was fucked before the first whistle this season.

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

HD stole the exact words out of my mouth, he never should of left France. Looked at the Ligue 2 table and Le Harve has dropped to 8th.

15. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I completely agree with HD. The sad thing is that when they get relegated, everyone (on the east side of the Atlantic) is going to blame Bradley (or at least the move to appoint him).

16. jumpkutz

I don't know where he'll land, but I do know this. The legacy of the first American manager in the Premier League will not be remembered fondly, through absolutely no fault of his. And that sucks. I'll bet we're all dead before another Yank gets a crack at a PL touchline boss gig.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm still in my 'I don't particularly care for pro sports anymore' phase, so take my 2 cents for just that. Not that I don't feel bad for Bob that he didn't make it professionally in England, but I'm leery of seeing my compatriots caring so much about English soccer and opinion. After years of watching this league and their press coverage I'm left wondering, "Why do we care about the English Premier League?" What exactly is so great about it? What is so important about having players or coaches succeed in the Premier League? Look, I love England, I've lived there when I was wee lass and visited there twice since. But I really don't get the seeking of English approval for American soccer and players. I'd rather see Americans go elsewhere in Europe, or come back here, than England.

BarryWhite likes this.
  18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Because having players and coaches who perform under the crucible of REAL pressure -- promotion, relegation, and a real desire to win regional club championships -- is important to our international future. As long as there's no penalty for failure in MLS, the players who play there will continue to be hothouse flowers. Germany, England, France, Spain -- these are the places Americans need to succeed if we're going to become a soccer nation.

As for why do we care about English teams? The whole essence of being a fan of ANY club or school in any sport is the deranged idea that our loyalty makes us part of the organization -- that we share in their successes and suffer in their failures. It makes no sense to be a fan of any sports team, actor, or singer. But we do because, as Spock continues to show us, logic is fucking boring!

Happy New Year, Senator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

encorespanish likes this.
  19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Fixed your quote to something I can somewhat agree with. I feel like only 2 American players I have seen get any long-lasting benefit from England were FulhAmericans: McBride and Dempsey (goalies don't count :)). Time will tell on some of these youngsters in development. Just seems like there's just too much quick turnover in the English system for our players to succeed there.

BUT...if we're going to become a soccer nation, we need our own league to become the top draw.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator