Berbatov or Dempsey?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by JackCaz, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

One thing that irked me about Dempsey is the way he would pout after a turnover (whether by self or team) and sometimes not recover and show much effort on defense, or especially how when someone else scored he often didn't celebrate with the team and seemed to sulk. If i recall correctly, one example of this was our game against Chelsea last season when we scored a late equalizer and our guys piled up in celebration; Dempsey was off walking by himself expressionless in the background. Needless to say it was an exciting moment for the club and he didn't seem to care.

Berbatov's serious lack of defensive effort is starting to piss me off. Is he above playing defense? That's how he comes off to me. Not that I'm on that playing level, but as a midfielder I would hate playing with a guy like Berbatov because of his horrible recovery effort. Example: any game this season.

After all of that, my question is this: Which one of these two pouts more on the pitch?

(Am I being too hard on these guys?)

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Nothing bothers me about either of them. To me they are both perfect in their own ways. I dont agree Berbatov doesnt put in the defensive effort, he is just intelligent about when and how. He causes plenty of turnovers from our opponents.

Dempsey used to bother me when he played for the Nats prior to the Egypt game in the Confederations Cup, but his effort has been great ever since that match.

Of the two, I would take Berbatov every day of the week. I never tire of watching the man play -art in motion.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Who is the better player? Berbatov. Who would I want for the long term? Demps. Main reason is Berba sees himself playing for a big club and you can see his frustration level rising playing for a mid-table squad. I have seen him track back, but defense isn't a strong suit. Clint was a really poor defensive player when he first got to Fulham, but improved quite a bit so he could get on the pitch. Both guys can come across as aloof at times, but would love them on my team anytime. All things equal if I could only have one guy for one match it would have to be Berba.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to see them together...on OUR team...at the same time.

5. tim

tim Active Member

It's an interesting discussion. Dempsey always played like he had something to prove. Berbatov plays like he feels he's already proven everything he needs to. The common result is that both can frequently show frustration on the pitch. Assuming Berba remains emotionally invested, for sheer quality, I would take him just about any day. In fact, that's the main reason I didn't mind his t-shirt stunt; it showed he still cares. If and when he stops, that's time to readdress this very vaild question.

6. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

I don't mean to take away from the abilities of either player. Both are damn good players in their own right.

I'm strictly talking about attitude and effort. To me, Berbabtov's lack of effort keeps him from potentially being a great player on a world-class level; a "complete" player.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I have wondered about that at times and I have to think his perceived effort had something to do with his lack of playing time at ManU. I cant see Sir Alex putting up with the way he tends to walk and watch. I havent seen every minute of Berba's Fulham matches but when I do see Fulham, I watch him closely. I'm just not sure that if hustled more, ran around more, pressured more, it would result in much more success. He watches the play very closely and when he does hustle and apply pressure on defense he is generally successful. I kind of think he is watching and picking the right moments when he will be effective. There are times when Fulham has possession that I think he could be making a run and instead he is watching, but I think that about a lot of players so I dont hold it against him. Dempsey, however, seems to always be making the runs and that is one of the reasons he is so successful.

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

All due respect Joe, but that is EXACTLY why Demps left. Next time someone says the word ambition I am going to punch them. Kidding of course.

Dempsey pouted for sure. Berbatov shouts and tries to get players to do better. To play up to his level. Case in point Sidwell fumbling with the ball at WBA and not playing him on sides. I would be pissed too if I was running around trying to make things happen and everyone around me not helping themselves. The players know where they are in the the table and everyone wants to do better, but Berbatov takes it personal. I love that about him.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

May 5, 2007. March 18, 2010. Gotta say that old #23 took it personal as well.

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges for me. The bottom line is, it's a team game. Let's see how we finish with Berba this season. I think we know how we did with Deuce.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And the myth of Dempsey's bad attitude continues.

12. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

from just a talent stand point, i would say berba. from a "want to see him kick ass" standpoint, Dempsey.

13. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Both great players in their own way. I'm sure Dempsey had a time or two of pouting since no one's perfect, but overall I rarely ever saw him give less than a full effort. His defense decidedly improved over his time with us and I think he did make the players around him better, but through example rather than traditional leadership. Berba definitely has some Captain qualities, he really cares about his teammates' effort and lets them know. Berba isn't the defender Dempsey is, but he's also a striker and can't be expected to put in the same defensive effort as a midfielder. I think also more backtracking on defense would detract from his attacking runs and overall offensive ability. As Mo said, he is just intelligent and picks where and when to best expend his effort. He's such a classy player on offense that all things considered, I'd rather see him keep than those qualities than expend any extra effort on defense. I'll always have a soft spot for Dempsey, in spite of how he left- but I agree with the "Apples and oranges" answer.

~ Steve

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread back up, because everyone's worry about Berba looks to be coming to fruition. No one can blame him for being frustrated with the pathetic service he's getting, but his over the top antics, flailing arms, pouting, and shouting at teammates is very detrimental. I wish someone would have the cojones to go up to him either when watching film or on the training ground and tell him the next time he makes a teammate look like an @sshole during a game for not passing him the ball he is going to get a his face rearranged.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm an obvious homer on this one so I skipped answering before. But for Fulham FC, Dempsey all day long. Better fit, better player for the club we are. On a top side flush with quality, Berbatov would be my answer.

16. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Thank you Joe and Matt for saving me having to type exactly what I've been thinking....