Banning Santa and various Goblins

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 28, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

School district considers banning traditions seen as offensive to Muslims

Sounds reasonable.... but I wonder if we keep following this will we be reading about space for prayers and footbaths installed?

But didnt someone once say if you attempt to keep include everyone's practices in a tradition, it represents no one? So it wouldnt really be a 'tradition' would it?

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

This is symptomatic of the role we expect of educators in society. We have stopped educating kids at home. When I started school most kids could knew all their letters, could read a little and write their name.

This education continued at home and in partnership in school, this allowed the schools time to teach about other events and social lesson. Interactions with peers that you cannot learn at home.

Now schools are expected to do the roles of parents as well as teacher. There is not time in the curriculum too allow the students to explorer and enjoy. It is made worse by the constant correctess of worrying who might be offended by celebrating /Diwali/Haneka/Ramadan/Easter.

No s**t Sherlock. Curriculum has always been subject to discession of the educator. There are loads of national events that are not celebrate in the UK because it is not feasible, but you should explore and represent events that are important to the local community, to understanding the point of view of others or that may just make life a little fun!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When I taught middle school I was advised that we could observe [decorate classroom/have a costume day] for only four "holidays." I was the only middle school teacher to NOT observe Halloween. Although I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, having listened to them over the years decrying the holiday as a time to "worship evil spirits" and "emulate Satan," I came to realize that if I DID commit my class to celebrating the day, I might be forcing one of my kids to participate in something his/her parents were strongly opposed to. And so, for at least two weeks, I was the least popular person in school.

Here's the thing, Petty. There are so many barriers to the teaching/learning continuum, that I think it's a good idea to avoid purposely putting some in ourselves. So, yes, I agree with the fundamentalist Muslims the same way as I agreed with the fundamentalist Christians more than 15 years ago. Interesting, isn't it, how similar their concerns were and are.

Besides, teachers aren't in the business of indoctrinating minority students in recognizing that their traditions and religious beliefs are not part of the American fabric. At least, they haven't been so far. We'll see about the future.