Arsenal v. Fulham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

One of the announcers yesterday said that at this point last year we had 14 fewer points so that seem's about right.

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My only downer concerning the match was FSW-Canada's "highlights" which included only Arsenal shots and either Arsenal misses or Schwarzer saves. For all anyone knows who watched only this segment, we parked the bus in front of the goal and choked the life out of the game. Instead, we played brilliant, flowing, attractive football and out-Arsenaled Arsenal.

SteveM19, yes the beard continues to bug me. It makes me look even older.

I was so pleased by the performance yesterday, that I wore my Volzy shirt at the gig last night. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I needed it for Wednesday. Thank goodness for Fabreze and fresh air!

Great stuff!

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I didnt watch that... Guess my fandom has dropped way off

1. I know my appreciation of FSC analysis shows has.. but that happened pretty much last year. Of course their people are about on a par with FSOH Bluejacket analysts and sig less polished than either Reds or Indians talking heads.

2. Of COURSE, they'll try to console the Arse-grubbers. Prolly #3 in NA fan base behind Celtic and MU

Back to the game... cant say ENOUGH about the way the D sets up. The recent record is obviously NOT a fluke; it's fluid and smothering without over-committing. Really impressive.

5. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Yea 'fog, Costigan makes me want to puke every time he's on. More importantly, the MIGHTY MIGHTY FULHAM were strong in all areas of the pitch. Stoor and a lack of finishing aside, the performance the boys put on against a perennial power was brave and inspiring. The tactics of Mr. Hodgson(I'll never call him woy again), and the chemistry, guts, karma of this group of futballers are awesome. I raise my glass to the Fulham!!!!!!!!

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Something that is, perhaps, lost in the shuffle, though GJ touched on it on Saturday: Fulham's first XI included seven UK natives (Englishmen AJ, Zamora, Konchesky, Murphy; Northern Irish Hughes and Baird; Welshman Davies), not to mention Commonwealth citizen Schwarzer. Arsenal didn't start (or even use as a sub) a single player whose native language is English. So... good for us, I guess?

7. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

There are only two words I can think of with this kind of display???.....

Fcuking Brilliant

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

...add in a Yank with English heritage and an American-born Viking.....

9. jmh

jmh New Member

That too but I didn't want to embarrass Arsenal TOO badly. :D

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If it's lost, it deserves to be lost. Big deal. If you did a comparison of "home grown" players -- that is players signed at an early age and working their way -- in England -- through the system to turn out for the big club on Saturday, you'd see a different total. Sorry, Josh; that's just a bunch of jingoistic nonsense. Should I root for Galaxy against The Crew because LA's midfield general is English and the Crew's is Argentinean?

and it's still pretty much "yeah, so what?

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Wow, Fulham played really well this weekend. I hope Murphy and Etuhu continue to play at that level for the rest of the season. I know I expressed some reservations about those two before, but they sure proved me wrong on Saturday.

COYWs!!! Play like this for the rest of the season and you just might be in the top 6.

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Yes - Once again - Roy has shown me that I should have had more faith in him.

He has not replaced Bullard, but he has just modified the attack. Davis and Demps drift in and fill that attacking mid role, and it is working perfectly because of the 2 defensive center-mids come out to stop the counter if they lose possession.

Ethuhu has figured out how to pretty much stay out of the way on the attack, and organize himself as part of the defensive unit.

I said I wanted to be wrong on my feelings that the Bullard move would be a serious problem... There was a period of adjustment - but Roy quickly had them sorted. Perhaps he had them training for the switch before we knew anything was up...

Whatever the case - I am getting more and more impressed with Roy as a manager, and as a person. His interviews and post match comments are impressive, and it appears that he is not only a fine manager, but also a fine individual.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I expected the result, down to the score. What I didn't expect was the way we attacked Arsenal. Hard to view the 3 pts as too much of a lost opportunity b/c Schwarzer was out of his mind on a couple of saves the other way.

But good result, and if we'd attack like that more often on the road, we'd have probably already won one. Of course, most road opponents don't play as passive a defense as the Gooners either (as evidenced by our version of keep away towards the end). Good on us for executing that display, but shame on them for the lack of effort.

Nice point, now to take 3 from plummeting Hull. Damn shame Bullard won't be on the pitch.

14. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

finally, after some of my stupidity, the february podcast is up. thanks to Bradical for joining!!

15. EricD

EricD New Member

I loved the composure when the boys played the ball in the defense and moved it into the midfield (in the latter part of the second half). It looked like something Arsenal would do to some other teams.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Oh yes! The 3 pass maneuver to get it out of our own box was palpitating for a minute and great when we finished.