African Players in MLS

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Aug 15, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

From Goal dot com:

Exclusive: Fact-Finding Mission In Major League Soccer

Focus on Columbus... because "The Crew are a Massive Club"*
    *TM Cols Crew BigSoccer Forum

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Two things pop out at me from that article.

1) the MLS may be a beast on it's own in the global view of soccer. America has long prided itself for being the "melting pot", and it seems as though that is carrying in to the MLS as well. Which to me, is exciting. This season alone has shone that we are starting to see a European-Latin hybrid of soccer being played here.

2) It still bothers me that it SEEMS as though everyone will always just see the MLS as a feeder league to Europe. I want to see two things happen to American soccer/MLS in my lifetime - the USMNT make a World Cup Final, and the MLS to be on the level with the EPL, La Liga and Serie A.

Is that too much to ask for? Maybe. Is it possible? Oh I definitely think so!

</rant>

Thanks for the great article, petty. I had never thought of the increasing number of African soccer players playing outside of Africa.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well apparently Redbull just signed Liberian and brief thunder man Francis Doe. The guy only got on two or three times but looked amazingly good when he did. A physical specimen with talent which clearly surpasses the USL level. But if memory is correct the guy frequently no showed for practice and Lagos had enough of him after a month.

Perhaps Arena can set him straight.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heh.... Maybe Arena can call George Weah to set him straight.