2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jumpkutz, Aug 5, 2017.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

And...England-Croatia are going to extra time. Predictable.
    Once again, I thought England became too conservative with a lead. We’ll see what happens, but they’re not good enough to park the bus and win their way to the Cup. As John Houseman said lo’ those many years ago, “you have to UHHHNN it.”

HatterDon likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

okay, not wrong ... just wrong match. It wasn't for the final, but for the 3rd place match

SoCalJoe, MicahMan and astroevan like this.
  3. jumpkutz

Yikes. Wonder what the rest of the FIFA calendar’s gonna look like that year?

BarryWhite likes this.
  4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Wasn’t impressed by England’s path to the semis and felt they were subsequently exposed after reaching the final 4. But on the bright side, they stopped being choking dogs and beat the teams at or below their level. That’s a significant step from the England teams I’ve watched since I started following the sport a couple of decades ago.

Felt the France v Belgium winner would win it all, so I’m sticking with Les Blues.

Overall, I think VAR showed to be an improvement to the game. Now, if we could just get rid of the running clock, you’d eliminate a good bit of the nonsense that turns fans off. It won’t eliminate diving or “the Neymar” but it would vastly improve the game and its reputation.

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

What is your alternative to the running clock? A countdown clock like college soccer? They would have to better define the rules on stoppages and institute a clock operator for matches. I’d have to see how that would play out before making a final opinion.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's what the original NASL used. The ref would signal to the press box to stop the clock and also to restart. Great drama for the San Antonio Thunder one evening when Bobby Moore -- our captain -- saw the clock running out and took a rare shot -- which hit the back of the net at the final whistle. His only goal for us.

7. jumpkutz

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Everything points to France in a couple hours, but pretty amazing a country w/the least population in 68 years is one step away. Throw in that midfield combo of Modric & Rakatic it's not a foregone conclusion.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And here are the first PRST World Cup awards -- the Hatties, if you will

I didn't see everyone play -- completely missed Spain, for instance -- so this is just from the half dozen or so matches I actually saw.

Greatest dramatic performance in a recurring roll [sorry]: Neymar Jr.
    Much Ado About Nothing Award: a tie between Ronaldo and Messi
    Best group of individual athletes: Brazil
    Best whole greater than the sum of its parts: Croatia

Best forward: Griezmann
    Best attacking midfielder: Hazard
    Best holding midfielder: Pogba
    Best defender: Pivaric
    Best keeper: Pickford

The HatterDon Breakfast Taco Award for Sustained Brilliance on the pitch: Modric

Once I stopped pouting and decided to watch the WC, I had to admit that it was a fun tourney -- surprise results, last-minute goals, great upsets. And, when we got down to the last 8, much more football than acting.

MicahMan and BarryWhite like this.
  10. jumpkutz

I did not get to see as much of the knockout stage as the group stage, but I concur with Don's Hattie's. And although there was a lot of bitching and moaning about VAR, it seemed to work, especially on Perisic's hand ball. Tough call, but the right one. I thought England got too conservative in the KO stage. They seemed to be trying to win the passing and possession stats instead of the matches. But they acquitted themselves well, although one could argue they beat who they were supposed to beat and didn't beat who they weren't supposed to beat. How ironic that they did better than the "golden generation" of the recent past. I would like to say that the only way this tournament could have been better is if our Yanks had qualified. I would LIKE to say that. But, given the high quality of play from even the least talented teams (see Morocco) and the abysmal performances of our fellow CONCACAF allies, I'm not sure we would have gotten out of the group stage. Collectively, Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama were 2-1-7 with a goal difference of -15 (7gf/22ga). Ouch.
    There wasn't as much slow, boring play, totally outclassed teams "parking the bus" and trying not to get embarrassed, and a healthy dose of upsets. But France are worthy winners. After a few hiccups during the group stage, they really got it together in KO round and proved to be the best team. A little "La Marseillaise" anyone? But of course! How about this one from the friendly at Wembley just a few days after the November, 2015 terror attacks in Paris? Vive La France! Vive La Liberte!