Yanks Abroad

A place to talk about all the news and rumors in the EPL. And discuss all non-EPL leagues and teams...Europe, Seria A, MLS, La Liga etc. Also, International play, Word Cup, Qualifying, etc.

Re: Yanks Abroad

Postby DCHeather » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:28 am

Nothing yet. I've only seen reports that he was to have his "sprained right knee" evaluated on Monday. But no news from the evaluation. I guess no news is good news?

But I guess this rules him out of the Italy game next week? :cry:
"Whether Felix Magath would have saved the Titanic, I do not know. However, the survivors would have been in top shape." Jan Fjortoft 2001.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby nevzter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:24 pm

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... l#comments

Gooch needs surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right knee and is expected to be out two months. Horrible luck for the big guy.
"I'll make it through the day, with some help, from Johnnie Walker Red..." - E.S.
nevzter
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Yanks Abroad

Postby DCHeather » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Shit...what was looking like somewhat decent defense for the US squad is now shot again. Bleepity bleep.
"Whether Felix Magath would have saved the Titanic, I do not know. However, the survivors would have been in top shape." Jan Fjortoft 2001.
DCHeather
Site Admin

Postby jumpkutz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm

That sucks. I hope he has a successful procedure and recovery. Was in recent good form, too.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi
jumpkutz
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby Clevelandmo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 am

nevzter wrote:http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/02/onyewu.html#comments

Gooch needs surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right knee and is expected to be out two months. Horrible luck for the big guy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Not again. :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue: :crying-blue:
Clevelandmo
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby HatterDon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:24 pm

Crap; well, if Whitbread gets better soon, he and Ream would make a good CB team -- assuming, of course, that you don't have to speak German to break into the squad.
Fulham 'til I kick it, y'all!
COME ON YOU SCORPIONS

www.thetimandbobshow.com
www.facebook.com/timandbob

www.dphvocalease.com
www.facebook.com/dphvocalease

www.facebook.com/SellersAndHymel
HatterDon
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby SoCalJoe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 pm

HatterDon wrote:Crap; well, if Whitbread gets better soon, he and Ream would make a good CB team -- assuming, of course, that you don't have to speak German to break into the squad.

Uber was redein sie Don? Glauben sie, dass Jurgen mag nur Deutschen? 8-)

Gotta love the free english to german translation on Google (unless of course, instead of facetiously asking HD if Jurgen only likes Germans I accidentally asked him if Jurgen likes only german danishes :shock: _ )
If you choose not to decide you've still made a choice - Neil Peart
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby HatterDon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 am

A couple of things from today:

1. Watched the Norwich v. Man United match today. Not only was it an engrossing and entertainingly dramatic match, but Whitbread played brilliant defense and bagged an assist for their only goal. Whitbread and Ream need to start playing together for the USMNT. If JK reads FulhamUSA.com, then this post may give him a good idea.

2. After about a month buried on the bench, Jozy got a start and bagged two goals today. According the the writeup, he came very close to two more.
COME ON YOU SCORPIONS

www.thetimandbobshow.com

www.dphvocalease.com

HatterDon
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby LaxAttack » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:56 pm

A good Saturday for Yanks across Europe.

- Jozy started and scored in AZ's 3-1 win.

- Matt Taylor scored twice for Paderborn in Germany's 2. Bundesliga -> http://www.socceroverthere.com/?p=8485

- Jermaine Jones had a nice through ball/assist for Schalke, but they lost 2-1 (4:00 mark).

- Andrew Wooten (another German-American who has been dominating in the German Regionalliga alongside Terrence Boyd) made his first team debut with Kaiserslautern today.

- Tristan Bowen (SV Roeselare) and Devann Yao (Boussu Dour Borinage) both scored goals for their respective teams in the Belgian Second Division.
LaxAttack
Carlos Bocanegra

Postby SoCalJoe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Even though he doesn't fit in w/JK's system Hercules Gomez keeps scoring for Santos down in Mexico and has to be considered a viable option to make the team.
If you choose not to decide you've still made a choice - Neil Peart
SoCalJoe
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby HatterDon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 pm

SoCalJoe wrote:Even though he doesn't fit in w/JK's system Hercules Gomez keeps scoring for Santos down in Mexico and has to be considered a viable option to make the team.

I like his skill set. I'm worried that JK is spending too much time trying to find American connections for German players that he's missing what is right under his nose in North America -- and England for that matter.
COME ON YOU SCORPIONS

www.thetimandbobshow.com

www.dphvocalease.com

HatterDon
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby Clevelandmo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 am

HatterDon wrote:Crap; well, if Whitbread gets better soon, he and Ream would make a good CB team -- assuming, of course, that you don't have to speak German to break into the squad.

Personally, the prospect of Ream in the USMNT scares me. I know everyone seems to think he has so much potential, but here is my fear. Nearly everytime I've seen him play he makes a key mistake and quite often it's a bonehead mistake to boot. I know that's mostly coincidence because if that happened too often he wouldnt be starting anywhere. The problem for me though is that I think he too easily shrugs off his mistakes. Yes you have to move on after a mistake but he doesnt seem to feel any pain from them. I dont see how he ever stops making crucial mistakes if he doesnt feel bad enough about them to think, "man, I feel awful. I'm going to make damn sure that never happens again". But I could be wrong. I was brought up catholic after all so guilt is a way of life.
Clevelandmo
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby Clevelandmo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 am

HatterDon wrote:
SoCalJoe wrote:Even though he doesn't fit in w/JK's system Hercules Gomez keeps scoring for Santos down in Mexico and has to be considered a viable option to make the team.

I like his skill set. I'm worried that JK is spending too much time trying to find American connections for German players that he's missing what is right under his nose in North America -- and England for that matter.

Agree about Gomez. Cant see how you dont want that guy coming off the bench.

And it's hard not to share your concern Hatter when Germans who havent even earned a start for their first team in the Bundesliga get called up before Americans.

I'm also still concerned that Klinsmann doesnt know what he is doing. I didnt see the Italy - US match, but from what I read that good result was achieved with the ol' defend and counter approach that our previous, less knowledgable 'merican coaches employed (forgeting the fact that that wasnt entirely true). In other words, it wasnt done using the new style that Klinsmann says he wants to put in place. I still have suspicions that der Kaiser is a little too all over the place to put a system and tactical approach in place for the USMNT that will get us through qualifying. My suspicion is that Caleb Porter was wanted as his new Joachim Loew, but he wasnt quite ready to leave Akron yet (thank god for soccer in NE Ohio). While Klinsy elevates Mexican soccer as a level above the US, Porter's U23s not only beat Mexico 2-0 but by all accounts ran circles around them.

Here's a theory, Klinsmann wants all these Germans on the team because they will play the way Loew's German team plays. He'll use as many of them as he can for now. Meanwhile, Caleb Porter is getting the future US stars playing the possesion attack oriented style that Klinsmann envisions.
Clevelandmo
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby Clevelandmo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 am

Speaking of Herculez, Fifa.com has a very good article about him.
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1594698.html
Of note;
And stand out he did. The Los Angeles-born striker signed for Puebla, joining up with the club in January 2010 for the Clausura campaign, where he not only enjoyed an incredible strike rate off the bench, but claimed top-scoring honours with ten goals in 15 appearances during the Torneo Bicentenario. Gomez tied with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez and Johan Fano, marking the first time an American has led a foreign league in goals scored.

and
Scoring can’t be denied
With lofty ambitions to impress this season among the region’s elite, Gomez has faith his resolve to reach his best potential with Santos could earn him another shot under new USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann. “I’d like to continue to try to compete and earn a spot on the men’s national team for my country,” Gomez said.

“I definitely have to keep working hard and I’m a forward, I’ve got to keep putting the ball in the back of the net because no matter how many times they deny you, sooner or later, if you’re the only guy putting the ball in the back of the net they’re going to have to give you a chance. That’s the way I see it, so that’s what I’m going to keep doing.”

The United States are on a four-game winning streak under Klinsmann, and Gomez is keen on seeing what the German can do, hoping the coach gets a “fair shot” at rebuilding the national side. “It’s still my country, I want to see them do well, but I want to be part of it.” And, the 29-year-old, when asked if he felt he would be ready for Brazil in 2014, laughed: “I feel like I’m 19-years-old right now! I think I’ll be ready in two years.”
Clevelandmo
FulhamUSA Jedi Master

Postby DCHeather » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 am

Clevelandmo wrote:Here's a theory, Klinsmann wants all these Germans on the team because they will play the way Loew's German team plays. He'll use as many of them as he can for now. Meanwhile, Caleb Porter is getting the future US stars playing the possesion attack oriented style that Klinsmann envisions.

That's what I've been thinking. These german-american players are very familiar to the way Klinsmann wants the team playing. Plus, a number of them are a step up in quality of their MLS counterparts.
DCHeather
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International