Holes in big toe area of shoes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VegasJustin, Feb 6, 2012.

1. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

So I bought those new Asics 1170's and have only walked around five or so miles in them, haven't even hit the pitch yet for a run, and already have a small hole forming in the big toe area. This happens with all of my shoes, no matter what kind of shoes they are. I have relatively thick feet, but can't go up a size as my feet are a very specific length, size 12 and when I get a size 13 I slip and slide in them.

Any sort of tips to prevent this small hole from becoming big and preventing holes in the future? This is a big problem for me and I can't keep looking like an idiot with my big toe sticking out all the time!

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Chucks.

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

They have no grip though. I used to wear skate shoes, but the lack of grip sucks and they aren't as comfortable as basketball or running shoes.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Since this happens with all your shoes, I'd say you probably overpronate when you walk or run? Does the below description below describe your shoe wear?

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html

I would recommend getting to a runner's specialty store. Good ones will do an analysis of your stride and recommend a proper shoe based on your needs. Including size needs.

I have never heard about a hole in the big toe in such a short time period in the upper part of the shoe, so I definitely recommend getting to a specialty store. See if you can talk to someone there that has been running for a LONG time. There can be newbies there sometimes that don't know what they're talking about. So ask the sales person some questions about how long they have been running and how often they run (daily,weekly mileage etc.). If they look like they're confused with the last few questions, move on.

See if you have one of these stores near you:
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

They usually have treadmills and other gizmos to recommend a good shoe for you. My running partner went there and went through their set-up and he said it picked a shoe he would have picked on his own. So I think it works?

5. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

It sounds like that could be the case as I usually have huge holes in the bottom on the ball of the foot, but I have normal arches. It could also be my thick feet, but I have had thick feet forever and I don't know of any fixes for that. Thanks for the help. I will look into some type of support or something and get shoes that truly fit my feet next time.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Wearing out the big toe area of the shoe used to be a problem for lots of tennis players back in the day. A lot of us would drag our toe on our follow through. I dont think this is as big of a problem these days because with the improvements in racket technology, tennis strokes have changed - open stance and different follow through. Anyway shoe goo was what we would all use to repair our shoes. There is another similar product called freesole, but I've never tried it. Since it's newer it might be better. Shoe goo worked for me but it only gave me another few more weeks before I had to repair my shoe again.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If the wear on the bottom of shoe is even throughout the ball of the foot, then, no, you most likely don't overpronate. But if I was you and had a pair of running shoes that developed a hole after 5 miles, I'd return them to the store and get my money back. That's crazy. How long have you had them? If it's less than 30 days, definitely check into getting your money back.

8. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I bought the shoes from Champs Sports and they are pretty strict on returns. I looked into it online and it looks like I would be stuck with them. I should give them a call or go down there and see. I kept seeing tags about some twenty day trial run and you could return them if you don't like them, but I didn't see anything like that online and kept hearing that they refuse to take worn shoes.

I looked up shoe goo last night and think that this would work as the hole is very small now and it could prevent it from becoming huge. If they don't take them back, that's what I will get.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If Champs doesn't take them back. I would call Asics customer service and see if they'll do anything for you. There's no reason why a pair of running shoes should develop a hole in the top after 5 miles or so...unless you did it on purpose, which I doubt. All they could say is, "sorry, can't do anything for you."

Worth a shot.

10. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

So Champs Sports wasn't taking it back and I got some shoe goo. Never even thought about calling Asics, but that wouldn't have done me much good as I only have the new pair of shoes so if they had me send them in or something, I couldn't have done it.

I will take your advice and go to a running store next time to see if I can avoid this happening again. Either that or get Basketball shoes with a leather toe cap so it's harder for the big toe to break through.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I've returned items to manufacturers without their original packaging before. That shouldn't be a problem. If you have the receipt, I'd give them a call before sending the shoes back and hear what a representative has to say. It's up to you. But if I paid close to $100 for a pair of running shoes and they developed a hole after 5 miles, I'd be returning them and looking for a different shoe. My guess is if you send them in to Asics without a call, they would probably return the package to you. Although, I wouldn't be shocked if they sent you a replacement pair.

Instead of basketball shoes you could run barefoot. That is the latest craze these days. That and minimalist running footwear, including homemade huaraches. Although, I think it's weird to see somebody running in sandals. Not judging, just looks abnormal.

12. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Yeah the packaging isn't necessary nor is the receipt, but they need the shoes. These shoes are the only ones I got as I threw away my other pair. The hole hasn't gotten bigger and they are really comfortable so I guess it's not a big deal.

I looked at those Adizero Rush shoes and they looked pretty flimsy and easy to rip. I need basketball shoes anyway and there are alot on sale as the newer shoes are coming out. I actually walked barefoot for a few days once as my shoes completely fell apart and it wasn't bad. Your feet adapt after awhile.